Send e-mail to brucescdplayer@hotmail.com or add comments using the link at the bottom of this post

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Greetings again from the world’s laziest blogger. For those keeping track, this seven month interval between updates sets a new personal high for me. I guess if you set the bar low enough, you can always have something to be proud of.

In the (very) long hiatus between blog updates, I built my own desktop computer (how geeky is that?). I posted a few photos of the build process here.

I also recently rediscovered a great online radio station, the local creamy radio. Check it out, listen to it, and bookmark it. You won't regret it.

Long time readers (all three of you) will notice that I've added a link at the bottom so you can add comments to each post. Please check it out.

Here's what's currently loaded in my CD player:

1) Green On Red Gas Food Lodging/Green On Red

This former Tucson band was a forerunner to later alt-country bands like Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, et al, though Green On Red had more of a psychedelic bent to their songs. My beloved vinyl copy of the 1985 album Gas Food Lodging was pressed on green vinyl; much cooler than the shiny silver CD version. The eponymous debut EP (perhaps the nadir of the band’s canon) is included on the CD. The band was originally called The Serfers, as was recently pointed out by my friend Bill. Bill is one very few people who knows as much useless trivia as I do.

2) Ray DaviesOther People’s Lives
If this isn’t my favorite album of 2006, then it certainly is the biggest surprise. A brilliant and widely varied collection of smart, funny, catchy songs sung and played wonderfully by the 62 year old former Kinks leader. Highly recommended.

3) The SmithsThe Queen Is Dead
I largely missed the The Smiths rise and fall in the 80s, as my lone purchase at the time was the inconsistent Meat Is Murder album. A real shame.

4) Drive-By Truckers
A Blessing And A Curse
DBT’s latest is perhaps more polished and less conceptual than any of their previous albums. While DBT remain among my favorite bands, this one ranks somewhere near the middle of their oeuvre.

5) Red Hot Chili PeppersStadium Arcadium (Disc 2 of 2)
I just can’t get very excited about the Chili Pepper’s new album….to my ears this sounds exactly like their previous few albums, though a lot longer and spread over two CDs. Congrats on your first #1 album guys, but next time mix it up a little.

6) The RaconteursBroken Boy Soldiers
Jack White’s (of the White Stripes) new band’s album clocks in at just 33 minutes, a bit slight even by vinyl LP standards. Speaking of vinyl LPs, this album would not sound out of place next to Cheap Trick's 1977 debut, or any of the wonderful Nuggets compilations of 60’s garage rock. A good but not great album. Their retro web site is kinda cool also.



TURNTABLE CORNER:

Believe it or not, I still have a turntable. These are the most recent albums to cross it.

Little Steven & The Disciples Of Soul - Men Without Women [1982]
Little Steven & The Disciples Of Soul - Voice of America [1984]
The Del FuegosThe Longest Day [1984]
The Del FuegosBoston, Mass. [1985]
HarlequinLove Crimes [1981]
Kate Bush - The Whole Story [1986]
Various ArtistsOriginal Soundtrack: Times Square [1980]
The B52’sStrobe Light [bootleg of 1979-08-24 show]
Peter Tosh - Wanted Dread & Alive [1981]
Lyres - On Fire [1984]
Earl Klugh - Heart String [1979]
Hoodoo Gurus - Blow Your Cool! [1987]
Steve Forbert - Jackrabbit Slim [1979]
David Gilmour - About Face [1984]

Thanks to all of you that have e-mailed using the link at the top of this page. Keep the e-mails coming, as it makes me feel like this is somewhat less of a waste of time.


As you were.

Comments:
Bruce

That retro site for the Reconteurs was very clever. This week's Get Out says the Reconteurs will be at the Marquee Theatre July 18 (a Tuesday). Tickets are $29.

Lowell
 
i wanna disc of the lyres on fire
 
Sorry Pollos, all I have is the vinyl version, though I think it is available on CD. That's the only Lyres music I have.

I also have two vinyl albums (the self titled debut and Relics) by DMZ, a band that was a precursor to Lyres. Great stuff, if you can find it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?